BLOG NOTES: 2:00
- Rusia is trying to keep Western countries from fleeing the country. https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/01/investing/russia-economy-capital-controls/index.html
- “Capital controls” are designed to stop the exodus, announced by Russian Prime Minister Mikhail Mishustin. Companies would be prevented from selling Russian assets.
- BP announced it was planning to exit its 20% stake in Russia’s biggest oil company, Rosneft. Shell has followed suit.
- A French company announced it would not provide new capital for Russian projects.
- Norway’s $1.3 trillion sovereign wealth fund will divest shares in 47 Russian companies as well as Russian government bonds.
- Richard Haas joins the “Putin is a madman” narrative CREATED BY THE NEWS ANCHORS. “He may not be rational” Haas says about Putin. Based on what evidence? Then, absurdly, Haas says: “You have to be really careful about assumptions.”
- The ruble plunged by about 25% on Monday. It has lost half its value since the invasion began.
- Russians have raised interest rates to 20% and prevented the stock market from opening for a second day.
- 1:15 PM (EST)
- Commentator: “This is the battle of Berlin.”
- Ukrainian member of parliament thanks the west and asks for more equipment. “We will resist with everything we have.”
- (Note: Democrats won’t even prosecute Trump, et. al.)
- Shelling in downtown Kharkiv.
- 677,000 new estimates of refugees.
Ukraine World News www.ukraineworld.org
- Ukrainian intelligence reporting that Russia is planning to organize a provocation to justify further Belarusian participation in the invasion.
- Ukrainian government saying it may resort to a preventive strike on Belarus to keep it from participating in the invasion.
- Note: Kyiv Indepenent is also carrying the same story from above.
- NEXTA TV is reporting that Canada will ban Russian ships from entering its ports and territorial waters as of next week.