This is a video of the cars parked along HWY 17 in Brunswick , Georgia. These brave people gathered to protest the government inaction in the case of the killing of Ahmaud Aubrey. These people gathered in front of the house of Gregory McMichael who along with his son armed himself and pursued Aubrey through their neighborhood, finally shooting and killing him.
When a team from CNN was later filming at the same location, automatic weapon fire was heard in the background.
The two men were finally arrested after two months of inaction and shifting the responsibility for the case around rural Georgia.
- The Trump pressers and the now daily appearances are humiliation sessions. Trump regularly demeans and silences the voices of reporters and this morning, a nurse who has first hand experience working with the Coronavirus. This is what authoritarian governments do, normalize the silencing of dissent. Every time Trump silences, demeans, and both demands and receives acquiescence in this silencing, people are taught what’s expected, that submission is a normal way to behave. We need to admit that we live in a culture of cowardice, compliance, and willing submission. We need to stop obsessing about Trump’s behavior and look at ourselves.
- This is a culture that deludes itself into thinking that it is characterized by independent thought and action when in fact, what characterizes most individuals is compliance.
- Every time Trump is allowed to bully and demean others without reaction, Americans become a little bit more compliant with authority.
- It is being reported this morning that guidelines from the CDC about reopening society were ignored by the Trump administration. The CDC, evidently, has been gutted of professionals who will stand up for fact and independent thought. The man in charge of the CDC has been investigated for misrepresenting his own research data.
- It is time to ask what the benefits are to the administration from the virus becoming worse. They include 1) massive profits from the wild west profiteering off medical supplies, 2) reinforcing people’s notion that government can’t work for their benefit, 3) reinforcing the Republican theory of government that we should have no government, 4) driving wages down, 5) providing an excuse for cutting and eliminating social programs, 6) encouraging the free-for-all economy the Republicans have worked to bring about for decades, 7) exacerbating a crisis that will cover other authoritarian moves which will go unnoticed, 8) killing off a large proportion of vulnerable people, 9) justifying closing the borders. These are just a few advantages of the crisis getting worse.
- The corporate media has ceased to be any kind of check on power. They are worse than useless. They don’t even have to be censored, they censor themselves. The feckless questions asked in the presidential pressers is an example of this. The county is in the middle of an economic and health crisis, and reporters ask questions like: Thank you Mr. President. Do you think, Mr. President, that citizens should congregate on the mall?
- The Biden apologia articles arguing that 1) Tara Reade is not credible that her charges are somehow different from those of Blassy Ford, or that 2) the charges are believable, but we should vote for Biden anyway are just astounding. It is astonishing how many women are willing to publicly argue that a presidential candidate with multiple women accusers should be given a pass.
- I am disappointed that a number of women I know who are pleading with me to silence myself about Biden’s obvious failures as a candidate. Please, they ask, don’t speak or write the truth. We have to remain silent and protect our candidate, the candidate the Democratic Party and the corporate media cheated to install as the candidate.
- Equally disheartening is the number of people engaging in a gigantic act of delusion by relying on voting in 2020 to solve our problems. The Republicans have done and will do everything in their power to subvert a democratic vote. They have and will also enable interference in the election on their behalf. There is too much at stake for Republicans to allow a loss. We must move beyond this Cinderella-fiction that we can just vote Trump out in 2020. The Republicans are being so brazen and craven, not even pretending to believe in democracy, because they know they will win. And, the Democrats will blame Bernie Sanders and his supporters and cower in place just as the Democratic Party is doing at the moment.
- Democrats are remaining silent, hoping that Trump will destroy himself over the Corona virus pandemic. Instead of fighting every day, pointing out to the American people every day that what is happening is a textbook example of what happens in a culture where you put people in charge of government who are trying to destroy government. It is a textbook case of what a pandemic looks like managed by people who value profits over everything else. This is unfettered capitalism, no regulations, no rules except that everyone is free to profit off untold misery to their heart’s content.
- Instead of going on television every day to point out what a giant class rip off the bailout bill was, the Democrats went on television trying to make political points for compromising with (caving to) the Republicans in a windfall (yet another one) for the 1%.
- Bernie Sanders has gone silent at a time when every day is an illustration of why the changes he proposed for the country are essential to the survival of working people and democracy.
- Barak Obama seems to stay above the fray unless he has to step in to prevent fundamental social change for working people. Obama refused, refused to prosecute those responsible for the 2008 financial crisis. He helped enable lack of accountability for the wealthy and powerful.
- We have to face the facts. Hiding our heads in the sand will accomplish nothing.
Deep State Radio Podcast
Interview with Sarah Kenzior about her new book “Hiding in Plain Sight.”
Notes from the interview:
- The Mueller investigation was deeply problematic in that Mueller completely avoided investigating Trump’s finances and the close connection with the Russian Mafia. Mueller also refused to indict or even interview key people like Jared Kushner.
- Mueller made useless deals with people like Michael Flint that yielded nothing.
- Mueller was lionized by the corporate media and assumed to be doing a real investigation. But, he virtually defined out of the investigation certain crucial areas like Trump’s finances.
- The Republicans have no illusions that this will be a free and fair election in 2020. They have no intentions of trying to ensure it is. This should have been investigated from the very beginning. It was not.
- The Trump administration is a continuation of “streamlined corruption.” It is a continuation of a philosophy of government – began decades ago – to make government so small and powerless you could “drown it in a bathtub.”
- Crises make it easier to push authoritarian policies.
- 911 made it easy to carry out extra-legal surveillance activities.
- The economic downturn helped solidify income rampant inequality.
- There is a grave danger that the Coronavirus pandemic will help justify the use of advanced tracking technology that will further invade individual privacy.
- Kenzior discusses the problems already in China with technology that such as facial recognition and social crediting which records purchases and activities. For some people it is a branding system. If you don’t have the right authorization, you can’t get a job, for example. (Note: There is a documentary about this on the Wiegers.)
- Kenzior also is concerned about health data being weaponized, there being classes of people who can and can’t get tested or classes of people identified as “infectious groups.”
I have to admit that it’s difficult to even get up the energy to write a blog anymore. I know that’s what the Christian nationalist Republican party coup leaders want, but I am still not above admitting I’m having a really hard time.
Normally, I would be glued to CSPAN watching the confirmation hearings for Ratcliff as DNI. But, I just cannot watch another hearing filled with feckless and useless Democrats asking questions like they are at a garden party. There’s no point engaging when you have no dog in the fight.
I hate to say it, but I don’t think normal, ordinary people have a dog in the fight anymore. The Democrats represent their corporate donors, Bernie has dropped out and disappeared, the corporate media covers nothing but coronavirus minutiae and little hero personal interest stories. (Right now Katy Tur is on MSNBC interviewing somebody about some music venue on the beach that is not functioning.) 24-hours a day of coronavirus coverage on two major networks and we’re looking at a freaking music venue disappearing.
Nicolle Wallace last night, when I tried to watch a few minutes, was asking ONCE AGAIN (for what must certainly be the 1K time) if there wasn’t anybody in the White House who could talk sense into Trump.
Now, first of all, I don’t remember her ass talking sense to Bush when he was lying to us and starting a war for profit in Iraq. Nor do I remember her ass standing up against using the OLC as a vehicle for legitimating torture. Nor did she stand up against torture during or after the administration. In fact, she has said that Bush was so proper and moral he wouldn’t even allow her to wear blue jeans to the office on weekends. Isn’t that precious? They make me gag.
Second, this question (like so many others distributed over the corporate media) assumes that the problem is Trump. Like Joe Biden, and others Wallace assumes that as soon as we get rid of Trump, everything will return to “normal.” (They always forget that “normal” is what got us here.)
Perhaps this is true for them. Perhaps they will return to “normal” since they want to see no essential reform, no change, just a return to the trough without having to think badly of themselves.
But, for the rest of us, the corporate media and the Democratic party have become enablers of this presidency.
Joe Biden, Barak Obama and the Democratic Party (after getting all the other corporate candidates to leave the race) have disappeared from public view. They are hiding in their basements. Biden is hiding to keep from making himself look like an ass in public which he (like Trump) is sure to do if they allow him to speak before a camera. The Democrats have made a political decision that they are going to lay low and hope Trump destroys himself over the pandemic. Barak Obama evidently never speaks up unless it is to prevent fundamental change in the country that might help regular people.
This is a perfect opportunity for the Democratic Party to stand up every day before a camera and explain to the American people that what we are seeing (a refusal to organize a response to the virus, profiteering over essential health resources, forcing working class people to go back to work while corporate executives hide in their basements, leaving the states and cities and counties to fend for themselves in the pandemic, using government resources to reward friends and punish political enemies, throwing away massive amounts of food rather than feeding the needy) are all part of Republican government.
This is not an anomaly; this is where the Republican party has been going for decades. This is what they have been working towards for decades. This is government by people who don’t believe in government. This is government by people who believe in health care for the highest bidder. This is government by people who will throw away food before they will give it to somebody for free.
If you ever vote Republican again, this is what you are voting for.
And, Joe Biden wants to bring these Republicans back into his cabinet and administration.