- Cornell Belcher, former Obama pollster and part of the corporate Democratic elite, tells progressives to “Shut the hell up and grow up.” Silence your criticisms of Biden, Belcher chides, and “fall in line.” Make no mistake, that is their attitude to all progressives. Obama and his administration purposefully squelched progressive participation in his administration. Obama refused to prosecute members of the Bush administration who engineered and carried out torture. He refused to prosecute those responsible for the 2008 crash. Those two decisions helped get us where we are. Biden will do the same.
- Ghislaine Maxwell was finally arrested today. There are those who believe that Barr’s firing of Berman was to get more control over this investigation and prosecution. I am not one of the people who find Berman’s behavior in this situation commendable. He finally resigned and securing a promise to have his next in command take over the operations is not enough. He should never have resigned. He should have made them fire him. It’s not enough. I am not optimistic about the Maxwell prosecution. This is one of those situations where too many powerful people have too much to lose to allow this to go forward. They will stop it. We don’t know how exactly, but trust me, they will stop it.
- Chris Hayes on MSNBC tonight described narratives that question Epstein’s “suicide” as “conspiracy theories.” MSNBC can always be trusted to maintain the corporate Democratic line.
- The two documentaries on Epstein fail to probe Epstein’s connection with intelligence. https://consortiumnews.com/2020/06/18/epstein-case-documentaries-wont-touch-tales-of-intel-ties/
Afternoon Notes: The Media
- I still can’t believe that we have allowed a moron to displace 100,000 people and provoke what Richard Engels calls “ethnic cleansing” and corporate news commentators continue to laugh and joke and normalize the political situation.
- I like Chris Hayes. I was delighted to see him come from the Nation Magazine to host a major MSNBC news program. I cheered for him on his first night when he was so uncomfortable and anxious, he could barely stay in his seat. But, I am now ashamed of him and for him. The nightly news is not a game show. It is not a celebrity event. This is true any time, but especially at the moment when democracy hangs in the balance in this country.
- This is not a game. There’s nothing funny about a president who provokes genocide and an “opposition party” that is too cowardly to respond.
- Chris Hayes running onto the set like a stand-up comic, to wild applause is undignified, inappropriate and offensive.
A discussion of politics, law, justice, and crime.