FRIDAY 6 MAY 2022
Zelensky feared exactly what is happening, i.e., that the West, specifically the US, would tire of the conflict in Ukraine and turn attention away. The corporate news is once again filled with the Trump soap opera. Revelation follows revelation, and each revelation is talked about ad nauseum. NOTHING is done. We are going down a dark path and most people are oblivious. The others are whining, lamenting, calling for another report or investigation. I see no evidence of anyone in a leadership position willing to put themselves on the line to fight for what democracy is left in this country.
Oh, but coverage of Johnny Dep and his loathsome partner continues.
THE KYIV INDEPENDENT
- Zelensky has said he sees no indication that Russia is interested in ending the war.
- Andrey Turchak, Russian senator, says that Russia is in Kherson “forever.”
- Over 2,000 people have left occupied Kherson by foot or car.
- Russians tire at evacuation vehicle near Aovstal killing a Ukrainian soldier.
- Finland imported 70% less Russian oil from Russia since February.
- Russians attack Zaporizhzhia Oblast.
- (Note: For some reason, CNN thinks it is interesting, relevant to debate exactly what kind of intelligence was passed from the US to Ukraine to sink the Moscow ship. They are debating the words used by Kirby at the Pentagon. What relevance this has to anything I do not know.)
- Putin is predicted to send a “doomsday” warning to the West on May 9.
- Putin is expected to speak on Red Square in front of a parade of troops, tanks, rockets and intercontinental ballistic missiles.
- Kremlin denies Putin’s apology to Israel.
- Book: Russia’s Crony Capitalism: The Path from Market Economy to Kleptocracy, 2019
- Russian television is now maintaining that Nazism doesn’t have to be antisemitic but can be and is in this new iteration, anti-Slavic and anti-Russian.
DAILY MAIL: “Six Russian Businessmen die…”
- Six oligarchs with Kremlin ties have died in mysterious circumstances this year.
- Four worked for the state energy firm Gazprom, which has bankrolled the war in Ukraine.
- Mikhail Watford, Ukrainian gas and property tycoon who told friends he feared Putin’s hit list. He was found hanged in his mansion in Surrey last month. He told friends he was on Putin’s “hit list.” Boris Berezovsky was found hanged at his home in Ascot Berkshire in 2013. He was friends with Watford.
- Leo Shulman was found hanged at his home near St. Petersburg on January 30.
- Alexander Tyulakov was found hanged at the same St. Petersburg housing complex.
- Vasily Melnikov was found dead in what was presumed to be a “murder-suicide.”
- On April 18, Gazprombank vice-president Vladislav Avayev was found dead in their Moscow apartment. His family was also killed. Avayev was reported to have tortured his wife for hours before killing her.
- Avayev was found with an “FSB gun” after his death.
- Avayev was still at the bank and would have had access to the accounts of its most elite clients, including Putin’s circle and possibly Putin himself.
- The next day, Sergey Protosenya was found dead in Spain with his family. His wife and daughter were hacked to death with an axe.
- There were no fingerprints on the weapons, an axe and knife, and there were no bloodstains on his body.
ATLANTIC COUNCIL: New Fires
- The fires in Russia in numerous strategic facilities were not officially confirmed.
- They are suspected of being sabotage operations.
- Ukraine has reclaimed six towns in Kharkiv’s suburbs.
- Russians are going to hold a parade of prisoners in Mariupol on May 9.