After a speech by Zelensky at the G20 meeting in Bali, Russia launched the largest missile attack on Ukraine since the beginning of the war in February. At least one of those missiles, hit Poland.
There is the expected hand wringing in the U.S. Oh, we don’t know if Putin did this intentionally. Missiles can go off course. Perhaps it was a missile malfunction.
But, as a former assistant to Zelensky has said, if Putin is allowed to get away with this without consequences, he will do it again. And, there is something absurd to me about saying it’s O.K. for Putin to bomb he living hell out of Ukraine, but not if they fire three feet into Poland.
I am tired of it. I am tired of and I will never ever get used to living in a society where there is no accountability. Trump and company ran a five year scam operation out of the White House and conducted a coup and there is no response, no accountability. There is no criminal justice system left in this country for rich and powerful people. Equality before the law is a cruel joke, a cereal box saying.
There is no accountability for Trump and company and no accountability for Putin. What kind of a culture have we become? Half of the voters in Georgia voted for Hershel Walker. Hershel, f…ing Walker. What kind of society?
Mariupol Mayor says that mass grave could hold as much as 9,000 bodies. East of Mariupol. Another one West of Mariupol.
Missile strike on Odesa. Russians claim that they are going to conquer the entire southern coast of Ukraine.
This missile strike on Odesa may be the start of that effort.
Black Diplomat Podcast, Terrel J. Starr (who has been in Ukraine along with Chris Sampson and Malcolm Nance). Putin needs a victory for his people. Bringing forth a victory in Mariupol would be something he wants and needs. The Ukrainians will fight if they have to throw rocks. Russia will be more isolated than ever. What Putin is doing is genocide. Putin talks about Ukrainians as “white trash.” He referred to Crimean Tartars as Isalamic Terrorists. “He (Putin) is racist.” (Note: Starr will be returning to Ukraine).
Nayyera Haq, Formerly State Department: Russia has threatened their annihilation. Can they bring along Saudi Arabia and India to isolate Russia. Ukraine has been destroyed. China has not aligned with democracies in the world.
THE KYIV INDEPENDENT
Mariupol has been surrounded for almost two months.
Zelensky: Ukraine will pull out of peace talks if Russia kills Ukrainian troops in Mariupol.
Military expert Michael Kofman says that whether Donbas succeeds or fails for the Russians, the Russian military will be exhausted afterwards.
Kuleba: Russia must be designated a state sponsor of terrorism.
Two Russian generals killed near Kherson.
Finland reduces electricity imports from Russia
Russia forcibly deports 308 Mariupol residents to Vladivostok, including 90 children.
Russians are clearing debris at the theatre that they bombed on March 16 and dumping the bodies in mass graves.
Ukraine liberates three settlements in Kharkiv.
Ukraine attempting to evacuate people from Mariupol on April 23.
Civilians have been sheltering in the basements of the Axovstal plant for nearly two months.
Russians are holding “pseudo-referendums” in occupied territory.
Zelensky: Ukraine would strengthen NATO. Ukraine’s absence from the Alliance is a strategic mistake.
Turkey closes airspace to Russian military and civilian aircraft flying to Syria.
In Kherson an elevator was robbed and all grain was taken to the occupied Crimea.
Russians force Ukrainian farmers to start sowing, demanding that they hand over all the harvest.
EUROMAIDAN PRESS (@eUROMAIDANpRESS)
Russians abduct civic activist Panchenko, who protested their invasion.
Article about Russian ideology. See Euromaidan Press.
• Satellite imagery seems to indicate that Russians are digging mass graves and trying to hide the number of civilians who have been killed in Mariupol.
• Evacuation efforts are being stymied.
UKRAINE: THE TELEGRAPH
• It’s day 57 in the war against Ukraine.
• Mariupol. Putin says that it has been “liberated.” Putin was shown receiving news that Mariupol was liberated. The reception of the information was called “stage-managed television.” The Russians are saying they will not storm the steel plant. Putin is claiming a win and saying that by not storming the steel plant, they will not have excessive bloodshed. This for domestic consumption, to claim some sort of victory before celebrations on May 9.
• The analysts say that the Russians are going to lose too many men and equipment trying to take the steel plant. The plant is tactically irrelevant. They are pressing it because of the symbolic value.
• Through public statements, Putin is preparing his defense in public against international war crimes charges.
• Ukraine saying that they will try to strike the Crimea bridge. This is the longest bridge? In Europe.
• Mykolaiv: Mykolaiv, on the route to Odesa, is under extreme pressure but not yet occupied by Russians. Russian forces tried to go around Mylokaiv to get to Odesa but were repulsed. There are severe water shortages. The city has been under shelling, heavy shelling for weeks. Russians are threatening that if they do not surrender they will suffer the fate of Mariupol. The Mayor says that the Russian troops are under-motivated.
• Russian missile launched yesterday: As the situation gets more desperate, we can expect a further threatening of nuclear warheads. Putin described missile as a “present to NATO.” Putin claims that it is capable of overcoming all modern anti-missile efforts. It is, he said “food for thought.”
• Putin needs to build the narrative that the war is going well before the May 9 parade in Moscow.
• At the end of WWII, as the war was increasingly going badly for Germany, Hitler became convinced that the way forward was to sink millions into science and modern warfare. He believed that this could reverse the war in one stroke. The result was a technical disaster, shortage of resources, military equipment. The allies stuck for the most part with conventional weapons. There are parallels in Ukraine. Russia is looking toward more advanced forms of warfare that could show NATO who’s boss. It’s a mistake. It’s a mistake they made during the cold war.