WEDNESDAY 20 APRIL 2022
In the middle of a war, Fox News spent hours doing live coverage of a defamation case between two Hollywood actors. Hours.
- Leon Panetta: We need to get the Ukrainians the weaponry they need.
- The humanitarian corridor from Mariupol did not work. Russians couldn’t get their own military to comply?
- Russia is preparing a “pseudo-referendum” in the Kherson region.
- German foreign minister says that Germany will abandon imports of Russian energy by the end of the summer.
- Russia is arranging for relatives of soldiers killed in Ukraine to come and return free of charge to identify bodies. This is an incentive to mercenaries.
- Russia accuses Ukrainians of refusing to be “constructive” on key issues.
- A library is bombed in Chernihiv.
- The acting mayor of Berdyansk says that occupying Russians are demanding “holiday” concerts on May 9.
- At least 2,000 families let without homes in Irpin.
- Russian propaganda is demonizing Poland.
- “A full and immediate ban on Russian oil and gas will save Ukraine.”
THE KYIV INDEPENDENT
- Nuland says that NATO allies could be involved in safe passage of civilians and wounded from occupied Mariupol.
- Russian announced the test launch an intercontinental ballistic missile. Putin says the missile will “strengthen the combat potential” of Russia.
- Zelensky urges the EU to impose a full embargo on Russian oil and gas.
- Russia has announced a list of Ukrainian celebrities, influencers who are now banned from visiting Russia for 50 years.
- Intelligence reporting that Russia may launch cyberattacks against countries supporting Ukraine.
- US announces new sanctions against Russia.
- Ukrainians are being made hostages by being taken to Russia against their will.
- The US was told about the launch of the Russian missile ahead of time.
- Russian attacks destroyed food stocks in Severodonetsk.
- Ukrainian intelligence released intercepted conversation between Russian military indicating that they were ordered to kill Ukrainian POWs in Popasna in Luhansk.
- James Acton: Talking about another nuclear plant in Ukraine. Russia’s behavior was “reckless.” A bigger danger is the operating plants. There are various safety levels. In a war, a failure of all of these systems together is more likely.
- Zaporizhzhia is an operating plant. You need active cooling to maintain the plant.
- Finland is talking about joining NATO today in Parliament.
- Lindy Li: Michael Flynn “says we should stop sending military aid to Ukraine and suggests that we should just let Russia take Ukraine.”
- Andrew Wortman: “…he (Flynn) and his traitor brother need to be expelled from our military and indicted for treason.”