Nobody’s going to break us, we’re strong. We are Ukrainians.
UKRAINE: THE LATEST
Guests: Don Nicholls, Louis Ashworth and Roland Oliphant. Host David Knowles
Fighting in the Donbas. Oliphant
- Ukrainian fighters are outnumbered.
- This is a battle of encirclement. The Russians are making progress. Fighting for Sieverodonetsk. If Ukrainians stay and wind up in an encirclement like Mariupol.
- Also, heavy artillery battle in Lyman. Russians are moving towards Bakhmut.
- These battles are important for Russians. They will claim they have liberated the Luhansk.
- It’s important for moral terms for the Ukrainians. They are trading space for time right now. They are trying for attrition of the Russians.
- There are parts of the Donbas where Ukrainians are outnumbered 7 to 1.
- There are several areas where Ukrainians are trying to keep the Russians from breaking through.
- The Russians have taken about half of Lyman and are doing house-to-house searches. Intense fighting.
Outside of Ukraine
- World Economic Forum, Kissinger has made statements about ceding territory by Ukraine.
- Zelensky has said that Kissinger had to flee from Germany before the second world war. This is appeasement and Kissinger probably wouldn’t have been advocating ceding territory to Nazi Germany.
- The German Chancellor says that Russia can’t dictate the peace.
- Russia may fail to make payments on its foreign debt for the first time in a century. This may happen within a couple of months.
- Food products not being able to leave Ukraine. Has had an effect on India.
- Food had been destroyed, been rendered inaccessible and also not able to get out of the ports.
- The Russians have offered to open food corridors to get the food out, but only if there is relief on sanctions.
- The blockade is not the result of a direct threat, but the presence of the Russian ships in the Black Sea area.
- The ruble has taken a dive but then recovered.