21 MARCH 2022, 4 PM
- It is estimated that 3.5 million people have been forced to leave Ukraine.
- The vaccinated rate in Ukraine is low and therefore there is likely to be another COVId outbreak.
- U.S. is not accepting many refugees from Ukraine. Why?
- Filtration camps? People being evacuated and transported.
- Miles Taylor: We have lived in a bubble of international legal norms. Russians don’t play by those rules. We assume that both sides have an interest in international norms and rules.
- Elise Labott: The flow of refugees is making the receiving, neighboring countries weaker and that suits Putin as well.
- Russian military is targeting journalists in order to stop accurate reporting.
- “We were the last journalists in Mariupol.” Journalist who escaped Mariupol. They were told that if they were captured, they would be put before a camera and made to say that everything they has previously reported was a lie.
- Gen. Kimmit: This is not a stalemate. The Russians continue to soften up the target. They are getting to a point where they can send troops in without risking big casualties.
- Zelensky: “NATO should either say now that they are accepting us, or openly say they are not accepting us because they are afraid of Russia – which is true.”
- Zelensky: “The only way they can seize the cities is to kill everyone, and take the empty city.”
- EU must prepare for 8 million refugees.
- Zelensky to EU: “You must support us because your life depends on it, too.”
- Russian warships shell residential buildings in Odesa.
- There was an early morning attack and shelling of the Sumykhimprom chemical plant and an ammonia tank lead.
- Russians steal five grain carriers from Berdyansk port. Russia wishes to turn Ukrainians into serfs providing them grain.
- Over 900 people detained in an anti=war protest in Russia.
UKRAINE WORLD, Podcast
- People are trying to use the fact that the Azov Battalion is defending the city of Mariupol as evidence that the Ukrainians are supporting Nazis.
- People are in despair about trying to close the airspace.
- A shopping mall was destroyed in Kyiv. At least six are dead.
- Zelensky said that a relief convoy near Kharkiv had been hijacked by Russian forces.
- Ukrainian officials say that the Russians are forcibly deporting people, including children.
- Ukraine’s foreign ministry said that 2,389 children were taken from their parents in the Donbas region and sent to Russia in a single day, Saturday.
- The U.S. is opposing Poland’s proposal for a NATO peacekeeping mission? What?
- Poland is proposing a mission which would be able to defend itself and operate on Ukrainian territory.